Because I thought you might like to know….
- When the Barbie doll debuted on March 9, 1959, her first outfit was a black-and-white striped swimsuit
- In 1907, when Australian swimmer Annette Kellerman (1887-1975) wore a one-piece suit in Boston that revealed her arms and legs, she was promptly arrested for indecent exposure.
- In 1923, New York ballet dancer Pearl Howell donned an unusual bathing suit made entirely of seaweed.
- The bikini was worn for the first time by French model and nude dancer Micheline Bernardini for a poolside fashion show at the Piscine Molitor in Paris on July 5, 1946. She later received 50,000 fan letters.
- In Australia, swimsuits are known as “cossies.” In the UK and Ireland, they are called “togs.”