It’s fall people – totally fall. I noticed that my personal wardrobe has evolved from shorts (or for me it’s skorts) and tees with sandals, and I’m guessing yours is too. After taking a look at what I’ve been wearing, I came up with this capsule of Fall Wardrobe Basics that I’m personally loving and wearing all the time right now.
Now, this isn’t a traditional capsule in that it’s not the only thing I’m wearing. That’s why I called it Fall Wardrobe Basics, because I’m still sprinkling in other pieces like long cardigans, cozy upscale sweatshirts, and more, plus digging out Fall boots, scarves, and other accessories.
Think of this as a checklist for what you need to get your Fall wardrobe on point, and then find the color, fun, and trend in the extra pieces you add to this capsule. (If you’re familiar with my capsules usually, I recommend 3 tops, 3 bottoms, and 3 layers plus a dress or a skirt. In this case, I elected to add in a fourth top, and that’s OK. It’s a guideline, not a fashion rule.)
Fall Wardrobe Basics – Bottoms
My three recommendations for bottoms for fall all transition easily with fall shoes and boots and cozy jackets and layers. They are:
- Jeans or Denim Leggings — Time to dig into the back of your closet to pull out the denim that you may not have been wearing all summer. You can go with a longer jean that flatters your body shape. Or grab a pair of denim leggings (I like these that have real back pockets and a skinny waistband) to tuck into booties.
- Joggers — Pull on a pair of the comfiest pants ever invented – joggers. They are stylish and on-trend this year, but also versatile enough to wear in a variety of ways. They are effortless when lounging at home, look great running errands and can even be dressed up with heels and a fun top.
- Black Leggings — Black leggings are the cornerstone of many of our wardrobes and it’s time to start wearing them again (if you ever stopped). I recommend a pair that are high quality, and smooth and shape you! Spend a little more to get a pair that aren’t see-through and that will stand up to colder temps. As an alternative to black leggings, I’ve also been wearing the Pelham Pant (which look like leggings but are made of stretch twill fabric).
Fall Wardrobe Basics – Tops
I like a variety of sleeve lengths in the fall, because you never know what the forecast will bring. I tend towards layers, so I prefer short sleeves and tanks as a base, but you may want to choose more long-sleeve pieces as your base. The key to these tops is to choose high quality pieces that will last in your wardrobe, knowing they will become “go to” items.
Here are my suggestions:
- Basic black t-shirt — All year, I find we need basic t-shirts made of good fabrics that wash well and look polished. Right now, my suggestion is to make sure you a good black t-shirt (and if yours if fading, it might be time for a refresh). I’m personally partial to a v-neck tee, which is more flattering on my body type.
- Long Tunic — Long tunics are so easy to pair with leggings and a scarf or long necklace for a great fall look. I’ve been wearing this jersey knit version that drapes easily and moves with you.
- Basic white long tank — Also perfect with leggings is a tank with a hi-lo hem. Make this your go-to layering piece all year round and you’ll find that you wear it with everything.
- Solid color tank or t-shirt — To get a collection of mix and match options, I’m suggesting that you round out your Fall wardrobe basics with another solid color tank or tee in a color that flatters you. In the picture above, I chose a soft blue that I personally love, but any color that you love will do.
Fall Wardrobe Basics – Layers
Your choice of layers (think jackets, sweaters, and vests) adds personality to your fall wardrobe. In this case, you need a few basics that will take you into winter with ease.
Here are a few ideas:
- Black Jacket — A great black jacket is a must for the fall. You can get any style you wish, but I suggest something with a little flair such as with faux leather accents or a casual jersey wrap cardigan.
- Long button-down shirt — My favorite lighter layer in the fall is a long button-down shirt that I prefer to wear open like a jacket. I have a great no-wrinkle white option and I also have a fun red floral that I wear a lot over a solid color tee.
- Denim Jacket — Denim never disappoints. Add a denim jacket as your favorite fall layer and it will go with nearly any outfit. You can get a traditional blue, or choose a color like this white option.
Are you a fashionista looking for like-minded friends? Join my free community of fashion trendsetters!
#fallwardrobe #fallcapsule #fallbasics #wardrobebasics #stylewithchar #rubyribbon #withlovepeach #storylinecollection #capsulewardrobe #falltrends #essentials #wardrobeessentials