Not sure what you need in your wardrobe to have the right basics to pull together great outfits effortlessly? In this guide, I share my thoughts on closet “must haves”, and provide tips to use when you’re shopping for 10 important wardrobe basics.
The 10 important wardrobe basics you should have in your closet
In my opinion, the 10 most important wardrobe staples include the pants, tops and jackets that will mix and match with other items from your closet to create an endless number of outfits. I’ve broken it down into three bottoms, three tops, three layers and a dress. If your goal is effortless dressing, these 10 items will get you off to a solid start.
Why wardrobe basics are important
Before I get into more information on what to look for when you’re shopping for 10 important wardrobe basics, let’s first talk about why having these 10 items is useful. Really great outfits start with these timeless basics. When you use classic pieces as the basis for what you’re wearing, you’ll extend your trendy fashion pieces to make more outfits.
Each of these 10 pieces are classic and timeless. They are a way to simplify getting dressed each day because you can reach for one or two of these essential pieces, then make them your own by styling them with other items from your closet.
These pictures give you a few examples for inspiration.
What to look for when shopping for 10 important wardrobe basics
When shopping for the 10 most important wardrobe basics, here are some of my best suggestions to make sure these workhorse pieces fit you and your closet. Look for items with these characteristics:Really great outfits start with these timeless basics. Click To Tweet
- Fit and Flatter your body – you’ve heard me say it before but fit matters (and it matters so much.) Be sure to get something that fits, or that can easily be altered to make it fit you well. Altering is your secret fit weapon. Also, consider your body type and find items that work well and flatter your shape.
- Comfort – make sure you look for pieces that are comfortable, no matter what type of clothing they are. You can find great looking pants, tops and jackets all that are comfortable. You should look for items with some stretch, which will make the piece move with you. (Oh, and like I said above, something that fits well also will be more comfortable because it’s not too tight.)
- Neutral Tones – since these are wardrobe basics, I suggest you shop for neutrals like black, white, gray or shades of brown. And don’t forget that sometimes, animal prints can be neutral.
- Quality – Basics aren’t the place to skimp on price. You’ll be wearing them from season to season and in so many outfits that you want them to last. Look for quality fabrics that are made well. Turn the garment inside out to look for solid construction.
- Easy to care for – No one wants to spend all their time running to the dry cleaner or ironing. Give yourself a break with clothing that is wrinkle-resistant and doesn’t require drycleaning. Look for items that you can easily care for. (Items you purchase from me should be washed on the delicate cycle in cold water and hung to dry.)
- Pockets! – while you won’t find pockets in everything, keep in mind how much we all love pockets and look for items with pockets to help you carry your keys, credit card, phone or whatever you need.
If you need to look polished and professional for work, download my “Dress Effortlessly” ebook for more ideas and tips.
#10wardrobebasics #stylewithchar #favoritejeans #seasonlessleggings #dresspants #layeringtank #solidtee #timelessbuttondown #statementblazer #casualcardigan #wearanywheredress #lbd #withlovepeach #wardrobestaples #classiccloset #greatoutfitsstartwithgreatbasics #wardrobemusthaves #wardrobeessentials #peachessentials