As pickleball continues to gain popularity, more and more women are discovering the joy of this fast-paced and exciting sport. But whether you’re a seasoned player or just starting, one thing is certain: you need to wear the right clothing and gear on the court. Not only does proper attire enhance your performance, but it also keeps you comfortable and protected from the elements. In this post, we’ll explore what to wear when playing pickleball, from the right clothes to the perfect accessories.
Pickleball is a fast-paced paddle sport that combines elements of tennis, badminton, and ping-pong. The game is played on a court that is similar in size to a double’s badminton court, with a low net dividing the two sides. Players use a solid paddle to hit a small, perforated plastic ball over the net and try to score points by forcing their opponents to miss the ball or hit it out of bounds.
The game is popular among people of all ages and skill levels and is a great way to stay active while enjoying time with friends and family.
Why Pickleball fashion matters
In my book, fashion always matters. In the case of pickleball, the right women’s pickleball outfits can make all the difference. Wearing the right clothing for pickleball is important for several reasons:
- Comfort: The right clothing will keep you comfortable and allow you to move freely on the court without feeling restricted.
- Performance: Clothing that is specifically designed for athletic activities, such as pickleball, can make a big difference in your performance. It should be lightweight, breathable, and moisture-wicking to keep you cool and dry during intense gameplay.
- Safety: Proper clothing can help prevent injuries by providing support and protection. Clothing that fits well and is not too loose or baggy can also prevent accidents, like catching on the court or equipment.
- Style: Wearing the right clothing can help you feel confident and professional on the court. It can also be a way to express your personal style while still adhering to the game’s dress code.
Fabrics best suited for pickleball
When it comes to pickleball, choosing the right fabric for your clothing is just as important as choosing the right equipment. For women, it’s important to select fabrics that are comfortable, breathable, and allow for ease of movement on the court.
Below are some of the best fabrics that women can choose from when playing pickleball:
- Polyester – Polyester is a durable and lightweight fabric that is perfect for women who sweat heavily during play. It wicks away moisture, allowing you to stay cool and dry on the court. This fabric is also easy to care for and resists wrinkling.
- Nylon – Nylon is another great choice for pickleball clothing. It is soft, lightweight, and dries quickly, making it suitable for activewear. It’s also durable and resists tearing, making it perfect for women who play pickleball frequently.
- Spandex – Spandex is a stretchy fabric that provides maximum mobility on the court. It moves with your body, allowing for a full range of motion while playing. This fabric is also breathable and moisture-wicking, keeping you comfortable during intense matches.
- Cotton – Although not ideal for intense play, cotton is a comfortable and breathable choice for women who play recreationally or casually. Cotton is also easy to care for and comes in a wide range of styles and colors to suit your personal preference.
The importance of good quality pickleball tops
If you’re a woman who loves playing pickleball, it’s important to invest in quality shirts and tanks to ensure that you’re comfortable and performing at your best on the court.
Good quality tops worn for pickleball are designed to wick away sweat and moisture, which is essential for staying cool and dry during intense gameplay. When you’re sweating profusely, an inferior top can quickly become heavy and uncomfortable, leading to distracting discomfort and even hindered performance.
In addition, high-quality tops are typically crafted from lightweight, breathable fabrics that are stretchy and provide maximum flexibility. This is crucial for sports like pickleball, which involve quick movements, twists, turns and jumps. By wearing a top that’s flexible and comfortable for your body, you won’t have to worry about chafing or constriction.
Here are several key features to look for when choosing tops or tanks for pickleball.
- Sleeve length — If you want to stay cool while playing, short sleeves and sleeveless are both great options. They allow for maximum airflow and won’t restrict your arm movement. Plus, they can come in a variety of styles and colors to match your personal preferences. If you prefer more coverage, three-quarter sleeves are a happy medium, covering more of your arm, but still allowing for ventilation and a range of motion. For maximum arm coverage, long sleeves are the best option. Look for thumbholes, so you can keep the sleeve in place and still have your fingers free.
- Sun protection: If you’re playing outdoors in the sun, sun protection tops can be a lifesaver. They are specifically designed to provide UV protection and can come in both short and long-sleeve options.
- Quick drying – Many pickleball tops are quick drying, which can be helpful if you’re sweating during the game.
Shorts vs. Skorts
Many women wonder whether they should wear shorts or skorts when playing pickleball. Both options offer advantages and disadvantages for women’s pickleball outfits, so it comes down to personal preference.
Shorts are a popular choice for many pickleball players. They are lightweight and allow for a wide range of motion, making it easy to move around the court and make quick movements. They are also very breathable, which means you won’t get too hot during long games.
Another advantage of shorts is that they come in a variety of lengths, allowing you to choose what you feel most comfortable in. Generally, pickleball shorts for women range from 3 to 5 inches in length. If you prefer more coverage, opt for a longer inseam, but be careful not to go too long as it may limit your movement.
On the other hand, skorts offer a great combination of function and style. They have a skirt-like appearance but also come with shorts built in. This means you get the best of both worlds – the feminine look of a skirt, but the practicality of shorts. Skorts are also great for women who prefer a little more coverage and don’t want to show too much leg.
The length of pickleball skorts typically ranges from 12 to 16 inches, but it’s important to choose a length that suits your personal preference and body type. Some women prefer a shorter skort for added mobility, while others feel more comfortable with a longer length for more coverage.
Ultimately, the choice between wearing shorts and skorts for pickleball is a personal one. Some women may prefer the freedom of movement offered by shorts, while others may prefer the style and coverage of skorts. Some women even DIY a skort by pairing a casual skirt over athletic shorts. Whichever option you choose, just make sure you choose something that fits well and allows you to move freely on the court.Serve Up Style: An Ultimate Guide to What to Wear for Pickleball (Women's Edition) Click To Tweet
Why a Pickleball Dress is a Must-Have
A pickleball dress can be a stylish and practical option for women. A pickleball dress is designed to provide comfort, flexibility, and support while also allowing for a full range of movement. These dresses are usually made from lightweight and breathable materials that help keep you cool and dry during matches.
They sometimes feature built-in shorts extra coverage and support, or come with a matching pair of workout shorts to wear under the dress. Some even have pockets for storing balls or other essentials. Plus, pickleball dresses come in a range of styles and colors, so you can choose one that reflects your style and taste. Whether you’re a casual player or a serious competitor, a pickleball dress can be a great addition to your wardrobe.
One of the main advantages of a pickleball dress is its versatility. Unlike traditional athletic wear which is designed for a specific activity, a pickleball dress can be worn both on and off the court. This means you can go straight from a game to running errands or meeting friends without having to change.
Important pickleball accessories
The fast-paced energetic aspect of pickleball demands your full focus and attention. As a female player, you need to be able to move quickly, without being hindered by your clothing or accessories. That’s why it’s essential to choose your pickleball clothing and equipment carefully, especially when it comes to accessories.
- Shoes— To play your best pickleball game, having the right shoes is key. Traction, fit, and comfort are all essential factors to consider when choosing a pair of shoes. Take your time to research and invest in high-quality pickleball shoes that give you the best level of support to play your A-game.
- Socks – It’s important to choose socks that are both comfortable and functional. As you dart back and forth across the court, your feet will be working hard, putting pressure on your shoes and causing friction. A good pair of socks can help cushion your feet, reducing the risk of blisters and ensuring that you can play for longer without discomfort.
- Sports Bra — Another accessory that many women players find useful is a comfortable and supportive sports bra. Pickleball involves a lot of movement and jumping, so having a bra that provides good support and stays in place can make a big difference in comfort and confidence on the court. I recommend a Ruby Ribbon sports demiette for women who play pickleball. It offers a range of benefits, including providing comfortable support for women of all sizes during gameplay, reducing bounce and movement, and preventing chafing and discomfort. The sports demiette is made from breathable, moisture-wicking materials that help keep you cool and dry.
- Headband, Hats or Visor – Headbands, hats or visors are other great accessories to protect your face and eyes from the sun. They also keep sweat out of your eyes and help regulate your body temperature. Look for hats or visors made from moisture-wicking materials, as they’ll help keep you cool and dry.
- Gloves – Many women find that wearing gloves can improve their grip and prevent blisters, especially during long games or tournaments. Look for gloves that are specifically designed for pickleball, with a non-slip palm and breathable fabric to help keep your hands cool and dry.
- Paddle Bags — If you’re serious about pickleball, investing in a paddle bag is a great idea. Paddle bags protect your paddle from damage and make it easy to transport to and from the court. Look for bags that have separate compartments for your paddle and balls, and adjustable straps for easy carrying.
Ruby Ribbon makes the best sports bra for women of all sizes. It’s supportive, comfortable and it works. It’s an ideal option for what to wear for pickleball.Available in sizes 32-50.
On the Way to the Court
While you might be tempted to throw on some old gym clothes for your trip to the pickleball court, why not make a statement with your outfit? Not only will you look good, but you’ll also feel good, which can help get you in the right mindset for your game. Here are three ideas for what to wear on your way to pickleball:
- Cute Sweatshirt – A cozy and cute sweatshirt is the perfect layer for chilly mornings or evenings. Look for one with a fun graphic or print to add some personality to your outfit. You can pair it with leggings or joggers for a comfortable and stylish look.
- Joggers – Speaking of joggers, they’re another great option for your trip to pickleball. They’re comfortable and easy to move in, and they come in a variety of styles and colors. Look for ones with tapered legs or fun details like zippers or stripes to add some interest to your outfit.
- Lightweight Jacket – If you’re headed to pickleball on a cool but not too chilly day, a lightweight jacket is a great layer to have. We recommend something with pockets to hold your keys and such. Plus, if it’s warmer outside on your home, you can tie it around your waist for a sporty look.
#pickleball #pickleballfashion #whattowearfor pickleball #stylewithchar #onthecourt